12th Annual Chilly Chili Stroll & Cookoff in North Conway, NH
News from Mt Washington Valley, NH – February 9, 2015
12TH ANNUAL CHILLY CHILI STROLL & COOKOFF, NORTH CONWAY’S HOTTEST EVENT ON A CHILLY DAY
North Conway, NH – Chili chefs and tasters are getting ready for the 12th Annual Chilly Chili Stroll & Cookoff in North Conway Village on February 28, 2015, presented by the Mt Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce. No matter how chilly it is outside, chili tastings will warm your insides as more than 35 plus chefs go chili bean to chili bean for awards in a number of categories for chili and cornbread. Highlights of this annual event include Professional and “People’s Choice" chefs vying for your vote with more than thirty chili recipes. Beef, vegetarian, classic and chicken chili recipes plus cornbread tastings will be in store as chefs compete for cash prizes and trophies, Beer and wine tastings, shopping specials in stores throughout North Conway Village plus children’s activities are in store too.
TWO SIMULTANEOUS CHILI COOK-OFFS
There will be two cook-offs happening throughout the day. The Professional Chef’s Division will be held at the Gibson Center for Senior Services in North Conway. A panel of judges will choose first, second, and third place winners, basing their decision on "aroma, consistency, and taste."
Professional chefs will compete for cash prizes and a chamber advertising package.
Additionally, and at the same time, a second People’s Choice chili cook-off will take place at the North Conway Community Center and additional locations (TBA) throughout North Conway Village. Non–professional Chili chefs organizations will compete for the People’s Choice award for their chilis and cornbread. People’s Choice trophies and chamber advertising packages will be offered to the first, second and third place chili chefs who receive the most votes from chili tasters in both categories.
Recognition awards will be given for best themed display/booth, and best corn bread along with the best chili, of course in both categories.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS – Saturday, February 28, 2015 – Village of North Conway
11:00 AM Event Opens to VIP Ticket Holders at the Gibson Center for Senior Services
11:30 – 3:00 PM Event Opens to General Ticket Holders
4:00 PM Awards Ceremony – Open to Two (2) Chefs from each competing team and VIP Ticket Holders Only. Awards Ceremony will be held at Horsefeathers, North Conway Village
Tasting kits with a ballot card will be available to the general public at the event for $15. Tickets for children twelve and under are $7 and children sharing with an adult are free. A limited number of VIP package tickets will be available for $35 each. VIP tickets allow Includes early admission to event, special pairings, gift bag and admission to VIP Awards Ceremony hosted by Horsefeathers . Both tickets allow the opportunity to attend the Chili Cook-off, taste all the teams’ chilies, and submit a vote for a favorite.
Register online for your tasting kit and then pick up tickets at the Mt Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce. To pre-purchase tickets, click here: http://www.mtwashingtonvalley.org/events/ChiliCookOff2015.cfm, then scroll down for online ticket purchasing. Tasting kits and ballots are also available on the day of the event.
To date, the following chefs and organizations have registered to participate:
NON-PROFESSIONAL CHEF DIVISION
1. Arts In Motion Theater Company – Chef Paula Jones
2. Carroll Country RSVP – Chef Steve Irwin – Sponsor The Irwin Family
3. Eastern Slope Regional Airport – Chef Dave Cullivan
4. Essence of Art – Chef Laura Slitt
5. Freedom Village Store – Chef TBD
6. Making Strides Against Breast Cancer – Chef Avi Dieter, Stonehurst Manor
7. M & D Productions – Chef Jeffrey Akerson
8. Mount Washington Valley Promotions – Chef Josh Anderson – Sponsor Eastern Propane & Oil
9. North Conway Fire Department – Chef Steve Moore, Horsefeathers
10. Penguin Gallery of NH – Chef Linda Schuepp
11. Project Succeed – Chef Clay Groves
12. Rotary Club of North Conway – Chef Marc Poyant
13. Rumney Hill Excavation – Chef Doug Sharp
14. Vaughan Community Services – Chef Hannaford Supermarket & Pharmacy
15. White Mountain Waldorf School – Chef Jim Harrison
16. White Mountain Winery – Chef Bryon Gil
17. World Fellowship Center – Camp & Conference Center – Chef Andy Walsh
18. Better Than Average – Chef Shannon Bissonnette
PROFESSIONAL CHEF DIVISION
1. Abenaki Trail Restaurant & Pub – Chef Peter Jones
2. Almost There Sports Tavern & Restaurant – Chef Scott Whigham
3. Appalachian Mountain Club – Chef Vincent Spiotti
4. Attitash Grand Summit Hotel & Conference Center – Chef Cheryl Emerson
5. Big Dave’s Bagels & Deli – Chef Dave Hausman
5. Chef’s Market Bistro – Chef Tyler Schwarz
6. Christmas Farm Inn & Spa – Chef Stan Shafer
7. Cranmore Mountain Resort – Chef Mike Rennie
8. Eagle Mountain House – Chef Michael Beers
9. Fiesta Jalisco Mexican Restaurant – Chef Jesus Guzman
10. Gibson Center for Senior Services – Chef Sharon Fournier
11. Hillbilly’s Southern BBQ – Chef Frank Welch
12. Inn at Ellis River – Chef John Kendzierski
11. Lost Elm / Bentley Brewing Company / Dark Horse Tavern – Chef Peter (Stefen) Wawzymucki
12. McGrath’s Tavern – Chef Seammus McGrath
13. Memorial Hospital – Chef Glenn White
14. Rafferty’s Restaurant & Pub – Chef Joe Rafferty
15. River’s Edge Bar & Grill – Chef Douglas Sharp
16. Sea Dog Brewing – Chef Greg Bernier
17. Stonehurst Manor – Chef Avi Dieter
18. The Local Grocer – Chef Hannah Blizzard
18. The White Mountain Hotel – Chef Chris Nelson
19. Vito Marcello’s Italian Bistro – Chef Vito Marcello
In addition to the chili tastings at the Gibson Center and North Conway Community Center, a number of North Conway Village businesses will present their own tastings. Rafferty's Restaurant & Pub will present their own Chili Tasting & photos with Raff’s Chili Pepper Mascot, a Sam Adams Promo, and offer Hornitos Margarita Tasting and Giveaway. White Mountain Winery will offer their own Chili Tasting, Wine & Cheese Pairings (Includes 2 Complimentary Wine Tastings) and will offer VIP Ticket Holders a Wine Bottle Opener when they show their ticket. The Rugged Mill will offer hot cider and a cheese pairing with cheese courtesy of Cabot Cheese. Chef’s Market Bistro will present a beer tasting.
The Chilly Chili Stroll is presented by the Mt Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce, with help from sponsors including Eastern Propane & Oil, Magic 104fm, WMWV 93.5, TD Bank North, Eastern Slope Inn Resort, and The Valley Originals. Host sponsors are Gibson Center for Senior Services, Horsefeathers and North Conway Community Center. In-kind sponsors include Lindt Master Swiss Chocolatier, Pepsi, Cabot Cheese and Hannaford Supermarkets.
For complete information, downloadable registration packets, lodging packages and all contest rules go to http://www.mtwashingtonvalley.org/events/ChillyChiliCookOff2014.cfm. Questions for organizers can be answered by calling 603-356-5701.
Why not make a weekend out of it? Plan your chilly chili stroll by visiting www.MtWashingtonValley.org where you’ll find complete information on accommodations, dining options and additional things to do during your visit. If you’d rather talk to a vacation concierge, call 1-800-DO-SEE-NH (800-367-3364). Plan your next New Hampshire vacation by visiting www.VisitNH.com.
# # #
Photos available from last year’s Chilly Chili Cookoff here. For additional photos or information contact Marti Mayne at 207-846-6331.