10th Annual Chilly Chili Cookoff in North Conway, NH
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – February 22, 2013
Contact: Marti Mayne, 207-846-6331 or Mary Seavey, 603-356-5701
MARK THE CALENDAR FOR the 10th ANNUAL CHILI COOKOFF STROLL
Chili tastings, crazy hats, ice sculpture demos, Chili cook-off and so much more on March 2, 2013
North Conway, NH – March 2, 2013 marks the 10th anniversary for the hottest winter event in North Conway Village. From 11am – 4pm, North Conway Village celebrates the 10th Annual Chilly Chili Cook-off presented by the Mt Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce, the International Chili Society and with help from Memorial Hospital and Hannaford Supermarkets. Once again this year, the event has been spiced up a notch with ice carving demonstrations, a crazy hat contest, and chili cook-offs complete with plenty of additional tastings and festivities throughout North Conway Village.
Two simultaneous chili cookoffs
There will be two cookoffs happening throughout the day. The ICS Regional Cook-off will held at the Mt. Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce, 2617 White Mountain Highway, North Conway. Three cook-off categories will be included: Red (traditional red chili), Chili Verde (green chili) and Salsa. The winner of this event in each category will qualify to compete in the Last Chance Cook-off at the International Chili Society's 2013 annual championship event will be held at the Spa Resort Casino in Palm Springs on October 11-13. All chefs competing must be a member of ICS to compete. Judging of the ICS Competition is managed by an official ICS Chief Judge and ICS Scorekeeper.
Additionally and at the same time, a second non-ICS sanctioned People’s Choice chili cookoff will take place at Rafferty’s Restaurant &Pub and North Conway Community Center in North Conway Village with chili chefs vying for the People’s Choice award for their chilis and cornbread. People’s Choice Cash Awards will be offered to the first, second and third place chili chefs who receive the most votes from chili tasters. Recognition awards will be given for best themed display, best crazy hat and best corn bread along with the best chili, of course. The People’s Choice Award is separate from the ICS sanctioned competition. All chefs are invited to participate in this award and ICS membership is not required, and restaurants from throughout New Hampshire will be on board to compete for the People’s Choice Award.
Carol Hanson of Carol Hanson Art, Inc. in Fryeburg, Maine will hold a "Crazy Hat" workshop at The Rugged Mill, 2633 White Mountain Highway in the Village of North Conway from 10:00am to 2:00 pm. Stroll North Conway Village with your zany creation as you taste chilies along the way. A trophy will be awarded for the best overall hat. A panel of "secret judges" will be strolling alongside chili tasters to spot the best hat. Be as creative as you wish in designing your hat, the only rule is that you have FUN! Then watch Josh Nylin of Inspirational ICE carve a “Super Hot” sculpture from a frigid block of ice. A true master of this craft, you’ll be amazed at what Josh creates and how he creates it!
Take the Chilly Chili Stroll
To round out the chilly chili stroll North Conway village businesses will offer chili-inspired activities. Here’s a complete schedule of events and locations:
Schedule of Events – (Subject to Change)
1. MWV Chamber of Commerce – ICS Competition & ICS People’s Choice Chefs
2. North Conway Community Center – Host to Several People’s Choice Chefs & Entertainment by Sound FX
3. Rafferty’s Restaurant & Pub
11:00am to 4:00pm - Host to Several People’s Choice Chefs
12:00pm to 3:00pm - Face Painting
1:00pm to 3:00pm - Smugglers Notch Vodka Tastings
3:30pm to 5:00pm - Hornitos Plata Tequila & Give-A-Ways sponsored by Southern Wine & Spirits
4:45m – ICS & People’s Choice Winner Announcements
4. The Rugged Mill – Crazy Hat Creation
5. Penguin Gallery of NH – Hot Sauce Samplings
6. Zeb’s – Hot Sauce Samples
7. Soyfire Candle – (1) People’s Choice Chili (Vegetarian Chili)
8. Kearsarge Café – (1) People’s Choice Chili
9. The Design Bungalow – Apple Enchiladas
10. Eastern Slope Inn Playhouse – Arts In Motion – People’s Choice Chili, Hot Chocolate & Cookies
11. Flatbread Company – (1) People’s Choice Chili
12. Leila Rose, LLC – Cupcakes with a Mexican Flair
13. Chef's Market of North Conway – (2) People’s Choice Chilies (Vegetarian & Meat) & Sap House Meadery
14. The Funky Bubble - Salt is the antidote! Try free mint-lime scented salt scrub samples and enjoy “Free” bubbly
while you play in the sink.
15. Vintner’s Cellar Winery – (1) People’s Choice Chili & Wine Sampling
16. Two Black Dogs Country Pub – (1) People’s Choice Chili & Tuckerman Tastings
17. Boston Brothers' Pizzeria – Pizza with a Mexican Flair Samplings
18. The Met – Coconut Ice Cream Mexican
19. Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shop – (1) People’s Choice Chili & Ice Cream Samplings
20. Fields of Ambrosia – (2) People’s Choice Chilies – Janelle Stewart, Sous Chef Purity Spring Resort & Jason
Bunch, Sous Chef Tuckerman’s Tavern
21. Mt. Washington Valley Arts Association – (1) People’s Choice Chili
22. Vintage Frame Works – Chili Dog Prints
23. Sawyer River Knife & Trading Co. – (2) People’s Choice Chilies – Black Cap Grill (Vegetarian Chili) &
Delaney’s Hole in the Wall
24. North Conway Fire Station – (1) People’s Choice Chili
25. Salvatore Michaels Framed Art Superstore – (1) People’s Choice Chili and Hot New Southwestern Art
26. League of New Hampshire Craftsmen & Earth & Fire – Pottery wheel demonstration – chili bowls
For the most up-to-date list of events, simply click here: http://www.mtwashingtonvalley.org/events/2013_Chilly_Chili_Cook-Off.cfm#events.
People’s Choice Chef Locations, 11am-4pm:
- MWV Chamber of Commerce – ICS & People’s Choice Chefs
- North Conway Community Center
- Soyfire Candle – People’s Choice Chili (Vegetarian Chili)
- Kearsarge Café
- Eastern Slope Inn Playhouse – Arts In Motion
- Flatbread Company
- Vintner’s Cellar Winery – People’s Choice Chili & Wine Sampling
- Two Black Dogs Country Pub – People’s Choice Chili & Tuckerman Tastings
- Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shop – People’s Choice Chili & Ice Cream Samplings
- Fields of Ambrosia – People’s Choice Chilies – Janelle Stewart, Sous Chef Purity Spring Resort & Jason Bunch, Sous Chef Tuckerman’s Tavern
- Mt. Washington Valley Arts Association – People’s Choice Chili
- Sawyer River Knife & Trading Co. – People’s Choice Chilies – Black Cap Grill (Vegetarian Chili) & Delaney’s Hole in the Wall
- North Conway Fire Station
- Salvatore Michaels Framed Art Superstore – People’s Choice Chili and Hot New Southwestern Art Collection
- Chef's Market - People’s Choice Chilies (Vegetarian & Meat) & Sap House Meadery Sampling
Tasting Kits with a ballot card will be available to the general public at the event for $10. Tickets for children twelve and under are $7, and younger kids 5 and under go free when accompanied by an adult. Your entry fee allows the opportunity to taste all the teams’ chilies, including green and red chili, veggie and meat and submit a vote for your favorite. Come hungry, because you are about to sample a wide variety of the best chili in the Valley! Register online for your tasting kit and then pick up tickets at the Mt Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce. To pre-purchase tickets, click here: http://www.mtwashingtonvalley.org/events/2013_Chilly_Chili_Cook-Off.cfm. Tasting kits and ballots are also available on the day of the event.
The Chilly Chili Stroll is presented by the Mt Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce, Memorial Hospital and Hannaford. Host sponsors are Rafferty’s Restaurant & Pub and North Conway Community Center. Supporting Sponsors are Green Thumb Farms, Tuckerman Brewing Company, and Pepsi. Award sponsors include Glass Graphics, Spittin Fire, Hillbilly’s Southern BBQ and Zeb’s General store.
For complete information, downloadable registration packets, lodging packages and all contest rules click here. Questions for organizers can be answered by calling 603-356-5701.
# # #
Additional photos available upon request.